A car is an expensive investment, and animal accidents can easily damage your vehicle. That is why it is important to have auto insurance that provides protection against such disasters. However, some drivers don’t know the coverage that can protect them from harm if they hit a deer. For example, what type of insurance do you need to repair your vehicle after your car hits a deer?
How rules and regulations vary from state to state
Each state has its own set of rules and regulations regarding car insurance, including possible discounts and coverage requirements. For example, in some states, if you have the state’s minimum coverage, you may not be covered in the case of a deer accident.
In many states, drivers must have liability insurance, but comprehensive insurance is not mandatory. Check your state’s car insurance rules and regulations to better understand if you are covered in the case of deer accidents.
Deer is a fast wild animal that is unpredictable. Avoiding these animals can be impossible. For this reason, car insurers do not consider hitting a deer to be the driver’s fault; They see it as an inevitable accident. Some car insurance companies do not require a police report if you hit a deer and damage your vehicle.
Can your auto insurance cover kill a deer?
Depending on the type of auto insurance, it may offer coverage if you hit a deer. Because of the impact of an accident on a vehicle, insurers classify the accident as a motor vehicle accident, similar to other accidents involving collisions with animals, objects, people or other cars.
Comprehensive insurance may cover the damage if you hit a deer and damage your car, Erie Insurance reports. The insurance company will pay to fix the car. If you do not have comprehensive insurance, you will pay to repair the vehicle.
Note that liability insurance does not provide coverage when you hit a deer. Each car insurance coverage pays for different issues. Therefore, it is important to understand what your coverage provides. Comprehensive insurance coverage does not cover all damages that your vehicle experiences in a collision with another car. Remember that comprehensive insurance only covers damage if you hit a deer; If you swerve to avoid hitting an animal and hitting another vehicle, collision insurance should cover the accident.
Preventive measures to avoid attacking deer
According to Wildlife Collisions, about 80% of wildlife collisions involve deer, with bears, moose, coyotes, elk and other wildlife accounting for the remaining 20%. No one wants to run into an animal on the road, although these accidents are common because many cities are close to natural habitats and wild animals are popular near human settlements.
With a few tips, you can avoid hitting a deer on the road. Although deer accidents are unpredictable, you can prevent them by knowing when these animals are most active. Deer are most active at dawn and dusk. At this time, light is low, and animals are at peak activity. Again, deer tend to walk in groups, so when you see one crossing the road, take extra care and drive slowly to avoid hitting the deer.
When driving in areas where deer are common, watch for yellow, diamond-shaped signs indicating deer often cross the road in that area. Another trick is to switch headlights when you are driving in an area where you are likely to encounter deer. The light will reflect off the deer’s eyes, making it easier to see these animals while driving.
Also, take note of deer mating season between October and December. Be alert during this period because the animals are very active, increasing the risk of collisions on the road. Installing or purchasing a vehicle with an automatic emergency braking system can help prevent hitting deer on the road.
When you see a deer, don’t stare; Break calmly and firmly and stay in your lane. Crashing can cause serious accidents as you may lose control. With these precautions, you can avoid killing deer.
Related: How automatic emergency braking ‘sees, thinks, and reacts’