Watch live stats l on the SEC Network l Twitter l Media Guide l Media Hub l Match Notes
#22 Tennessee (0-1-1) at #5 Duke (2-0).
Thursday, August 25, 2022 – 7pm – SEC Network
Knoxville, Tenn. – Regal Soccer Stadium
SEC Network Talent: Mike Watts (PXP), Marion Crowder (Color)
Need to know…
• No. 5 Duke hits the road for the second time in three games to open the season at No. 22 Tennessee on Thursday. The game will be played at Regal Soccer Stadium and will be broadcast live on the SEC Network at 7 p.m.
• Duke enters Thursday having won nine of its last 11 road contests. The Blue Devils are 11-4-1 in their last 16 road games dating back to the start of the 2020-21 season and have outscored their opponents 26-11 in that stretch.
• The Blue Devils are looking to open the season with a 3-0 ledger for the second year in a row, but will mark just the third time since the 2011 campaign.
• Duke has won two of its last three road games against ranked opponents.
• The Blue Devils return eight starters and 18 letterwinners from last season’s 16-4-1 team that reached the NCAA quarterfinals.
• Was ranked preseason No. 2 in the Duke United Soccer Coaches Poll, tied for the highest preseason ranking in school history (2015 and 2011). Overall, the Blue Devils have ranked in the top 10 of the United Soccer Coaches Preseason League in seven of the last eight years under the direction of the head coach. Robbie Church.
• Sophie Jones, Ruthie Jones and Amy Durr A captain was selected for the 2022 team.
• Duke shows Delaney and two sets of sisters in 2022 Maggie Graham Along with Emily and Jenna Royson.
• The Blue Devils’ recruiting class was tabbed No. 5 nationally by TopDrawerSoccer.
Stories / Blue Devil Notes
• Michelle Cooper and Olivia Miles UNCG made its 2022 tournament debut. Both came off the bench and Cooper had an assist.
• Duke has outscored its opponents 37-3 in its first two games.
• Senior Julia Burnell scored her first collegiate goal with one second left in the first half against UNCG to give Duke a 2-1 lead at the break. It turned out to be the game-winning goal for the Blue Devils.
• In 19 games played at Duke, Michelle Cooper Has tallied at least one goal or assist in 15 of those contests.
• Senior All-American Sophie Jones She tallied her game-winning tally in the opener at ECU, her fourth career goal and first since the 2020-21 campaign. She hit a 28-yard shot at the back post in the sixth minute.
• Going back to the 2019 campaign, Duke has won eight straight games in the month of August.
• Freshman Cat Raider Attempted seven shots in the season opener at East Carolina and was one away from tying for third on Duke’s freshman record chart.
• All four Duke sisters started the first two games and played a combined 624 minutes — Delaney Graham (143), Emily Royson (167), Maggie Graham (148) And Jenna Royson (166).
• Ruthie Jones Has started 43 straight games in goal for the Blue Devils and has 20 shutouts, which ranks fifth at Duke.
• Sophie Jones Owner of 54 straight starting streak since arriving at Duke.
DUKE VS. Tennessee
• Thursday’s game will be the Blue Devils’ fifth all-time meeting with the Volunteers. Duke is 1-1-2 against Tennessee and 0-1 when playing in Knoxville, Tenn.
• In the last meeting, Duke faced Tennessee in the second round of the 2006 NCAA Tournament and tied 0-0, but did not advance on penalty kicks (3-4).
• The Blue Devils are 36-19-9 all-time against SEC opponents.
• Duke is currently on a three-game winning streak against SEC opponents.
• Head coach Robbie Church Owns a 3-2-2 record against Tennessee in his career and is 0-2-1 in games played in Knoxville.
A full set of notes is linked in this email.